Friday, July 27, 2007

Summer Salsa


It's summer time!! Time for swimming and traveling and lots of gardening. I'm reaping the benefits of the harvest this time of year. No, I don't garden but lots of people around me do! They're always willing to share the abundance and what isn't given to me, I can buy fresh and cheap at a road side farm stand.

I'm often lured by the cheap prices and buy more than we can use. That happened recently and I had too many tomatoes to eat. So, what's a girl to do with too many tomatoes? SALSA!!! I've never made home made salsa so I searched the Internet for an easy recipe. There were lots to choose from and they all used pretty much the same ingredients so I just made up my own recipe. Lots of tomatoes, an onion, a green pepper, a sweet pepper, a few jalapeno slices to appease the husband (these were from a jar), but it still wasn't quite right. Most of the recipes called for cilantro but I didn't have any so that wasn't happening. I asked a friend who knows about these things. She suggested adding a bit of sugar and there it was .... the perfect salsa!! And lots of it! I've been eating this stuff for weeks! And loving it!