Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Backyard Barber Shop

My sister was not impressed with my butter tip. But now I'm going to tell you how I save $50 a month. Who can not be impressed with $50 a month? That's $600 dollars a year! With five heads of hair to be cut at $10 a pop, the local barber was really making some dough from this family. We always had to wait FOREVER in this tiny little room with stuffed squirrels on the wall, sports on the tv, and only car magazines to read. Most of the time, he didn't even get the little ones' haircuts straight. They tend to wiggle and slouch.

And so, I opened my own barber shop on the back deck. I just needed a clipper donated by my mother-in-law and a plastic box to seat the victim, er... I mean customer. At first, I wasn't very good at it. There was a very memorable incident with a tick on Adam's head and a lot of screaming that made me question the wisdom of this plan. But, for a $10 per head savings, I kept practicing. My boys don't really care what their hair looks like yet so I have plenty of time to perfect the art.