Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Waste Not

Okay, I know it's just butter, or more accurately, margarine, but the laws of frugality still apply. My kids seem to think the bowl is empty when you can't dip in and get a knife full. But I can't stand to let the stuff on the sides go into the trash, or, more accurately, down the drain when I stick that bowl in the dishwasher. My newest trick for getting every last drop of margarine is the microwave. Just stick the seemingly empty bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds. The margarine will melt and form a puddle in the bottom of the bowl. Just pour it over your vegies or into the measuring cup. Depending on how well you scrape the bowl beforehand, you may end up saving a 1/2 cup of margarine. Just think about how much you'll save over the course of a year. :)